Well, first off the bus ride wasn’t as great as it sounded, but I think it was all my fault. I just couldn’t figure out how to make the seat work right and it was dark so I couldn’t see what I was doing. Everything else was ok and if I could have got my seat adjusted, it would have been very comfortable. Definitely recommend bringing munchies and drinks. The little sandwich and brownie things didn’t look bad – wasn’t hungry, didn’t try them. But first thing in the morning, as we wheeled into Trujillo, the “conductor” came around with what I thought was to be coffee. Just what I needed at that point. Thank you. I took one sip and nearly spewed it across the bus! I don’t know what it was. Something like a strong blend of very old coffee and engine grease, maybe? With about a half cup of sugar added, so that it had the consistency of syrup and the taste of – well, I don’t know what, but trust me, it was really bad! After a week of raving about how incredible the coffee is in Peru, it was all destroyed with that one sip!
At the bus terminal, while I was in the bathroom, Gene, friendly guy that we all know him to be, befriended a charming taxi driver who wanted to help us out with all of our plans. Well, of course, the bitch traveling with Gene didn’t want help from anyone about anything. She simply wanted to be taken to Plaza Central, so that she could find a decent cup of coffee. No, she did not want to be taken to Huanchaco because all the hotels in Trujillo were full. No, she did not want to check in to the hotel in el centro that he recommended. She just wanted a damned cup of coffee. Finally convinced, and tired of the discussion I assume, he managed to drop us off at a coffee shop a block away from plaza central. The worst coffee shop I’ve ever been in. Absolutely the worst coffee I’
ve ever had. Well, ok, even this was not as bad as the bus coffee thing. But still! We’re talking a tall glass full of lukewarm milk with a little side pitcher of coffee. Helloooo! This is what I get when I ask for “café con leche!” The waiter didn’t seem to understand and asked me if I wanted “coffee with milk.” OK, I agreed to that, not understanding why he didn’t understand it in Spanish. Well, apparently they do coffee differently up here in the North. By now it was looking like I was never again going to get a decent cup of coffee. Somehow we walked around (with fully loaded backpacks) until we found a normal coffee shop and obtained really good cups of cappuccino. OK. Happy now. After our first cup,
I left Gene at the café with all of our bags while I walked around and quickly found a hotel. The one I was looking for, the charming old, slightly run-down colonial building one, of course was closed. Just because the guidebook says it’s there … OK so I find a hotel. Good location. Even has wireless, so I can do a little blogging. Has all the usual stuff. But a bit boring. A newer hotel with little or no character. But fine. And it’s in the area that we wanted. Lots of cafes and colonial architecture. We’re good.
Later in the day we stumbled into a great little neighborhood restaurant for lunch.
Unfortunately I don’t remember now where it was or what it was called. But we had some fabulous food! Cay Estofado (Guinea pig), Papas Huancaina, Arroz Chaufa.
There is some interesting colonial architecture here, as promised. But I think I’m going to miss my sidewalk cafes. And good coffee. And the park.
At the bus terminal, while I was in the bathroom, Gene, friendly guy that we all know him to be, befriended a charming taxi driver who wanted to help us out with all of our plans. Well, of course, the bitch traveling with Gene didn’t want help from anyone about anything. She simply wanted to be taken to Plaza Central, so that she could find a decent cup of coffee. No, she did not want to be taken to Huanchaco because all the hotels in Trujillo were full. No, she did not want to check in to the hotel in el centro that he recommended. She just wanted a damned cup of coffee. Finally convinced, and tired of the discussion I assume, he managed to drop us off at a coffee shop a block away from plaza central. The worst coffee shop I’ve ever been in. Absolutely the worst coffee I’
Later in the day we stumbled into a great little neighborhood restaurant for lunch.
There is some interesting colonial architecture here, as promised. But I think I’m going to miss my sidewalk cafes. And good coffee. And the park.
2 comments:
Hi you two,
What great blogs! Love the picture Gene drew and yeah, I can figure out who is who in it. But by the look on Gene's face in the photos, I'm willing to bet he's no longer digging in his heels. Sounds like you're having a great time and I'm looking forward to reading more about it.
Thanks for the comment, Judy. Gene, as always is having the time of his life, in spite of tripping and falling yesterday (updated post to follow). But he loves that image of himself as being dragged along behind!
Post a Comment